WORKING AT HEAVY IRON STUDIOS
Heavy Iron is made up of terrific and talented individuals, a great mix of close-knit industry veterans and fresh faced talent. As a member of our development team you’ll have the opportunity to work in a collaborative environment with industry veterans who are accomplished leaders in programming, design, art, animation and production.
We’re proud to say that more than half of our employees have been here for over 5 years. People stay here for a lot of reasons but at the end of the day, it’s about enjoying the people you work with and working on projects you can be proud of.
Our office is conveniently located in Manhattan Beach which offers up many places to enjoy lunch or catch a movie after work.
We also offer year-round fulltime and part-time internships for all disciplines. Please head on over to our internship section if you are interested.
Heavy Iron Studios wants you to help us build the future! We are looking for a Gameplay Programmer who has what it takes to make a difference on our team.
This position is responsible for a broad range of game programming duties from writing low-level platform-specific code and extending our game engine to graphics programming and implementing and tuning gameplay features. We are looking for a talented C/C++ programmer who will fit well with our team and help us make great games.
Our culture promotes collaboration and we enjoy working together. We are always looking for exceptional talent for our team. We want to hear from you if you meet the qualifications and have an interest in working on exciting projects. We pride ourselves on creating quality and timely products for our partners and players.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computer Science, a related discipline or 4 years of equivalent relevant work experience
- At least two previously shipped titles
- Experience building on game consoles or iOS in C++
- Excellent C/C++ skills
- Thorough understanding of 3D math
- Strong problem solving ability
- Self-motivated with an ability to take initiative
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal, in a team environment
- A passion to create and to work with creative teammates to build something outstanding
- Good all-around knowledge of computer game technology
- Proficiency in C#
- Experience developing on Xbox One or PlayStation 4
- Graphics programming experience using DirectX 11, OpenGL or Metal
- Experience designing and implementing user interfaces and tools
- Experience writing networked game code and systems
- Experience using middleware solutions such as Havok, Scaleform or Fmod
- Knowledge of low-level programming such as graphics shaders, multithreading and optimization
- Experience using Maya, the Maya API and MEL/Python scripting
- Experience with Unreal UDK and Unreal Script programming
- A passion for games
To apply, please submit your cover letter and current resume by emailing us to HIJobs@heavy-iron.com with Game Programming Position in subject.
We have full and part time paid and unpaid internships available during the school term and summer breaks. All disciplines welcomed: art, production, programming, animation, design and sound.
All intern applicants must provide a cover letter and resume. Programming interns are also asked to “take on” our intern programming challenge (see below). Art and animation intern candidates must also provide a portfolio and/or reel. Design intern candidates must provide examples of design work or prototypes, and sound candidates must include a sound design reel/portfolio.
- Candidates should be recent graduates or full-time students enrolled in an accredited undergraduate or graduate degree program
- Applicants must be available to intern a minimum of 3 days per week during regular working hours. While we are flexible, scheduled work days should remain consistent — as in not changing every couple of weeks
- The duration of the internship is also flexible, but Heavy Iron expects at least an 8 week commitment from our interns
- All interns are required to provide their own transportation to/from our offices in Los Angeles, near the LAX airport. There are no relocation reimbursements or housing stipends for any of the intern positions
Programming Interns – (No current openings)
All our internship positions for summer 2020 are now filled. Applications are still being accepted for fall.
We are looking for Software Engineering / Computer Science students interested in video game programming with solid C/C++ skills, who can take on any technical challenges from bug fixing to implementing new game features.
In addition to providing a cover letter and resume, programming interns candidates need to show us what they’re made of. Download our intern programming challenge (Challenge.zip), and follow the instructions in ‘Challenge.cpp’.
Art Interns (Positions currently available)
Art intern candidates must be proficient in Maya, Photoshop, and have experience with game editors. Candidates must possess a good sense of light, color, value, form and composition, traditional art skills are a plus. We expect our interns to be reliable, self-sufficient, and contribute at a high level.
Animator Interns (No current openings)
We are always interested in individuals who have a good understanding of animation principles joined with a great desire to take their skills to the next level. Being a team player, accountability, and dedication to your work are equally important. Strong figure drawing skills are always a plus.
Game Design Interns (No current openings)
Only individuals with a passion for game design coupled with a professional and diligent attitude should apply. Candidates must have a strong command of basic game design principles and vernacular, and consider themselves good writers and communicators. Diverse interests are a big plus, whether its cartography and sports or climatology and foreign films or even better all of the above.
Sound Design Interns (No current openings)
These candidates most likely love goofing around with any type of sound making device or audio software program. That said we’re looking for individuals who are also organized and detail-oriented. Applicants must have familiarity with Sound Forge or equivalent programs plus solid knowledge of audio editing and mixing techniques.
Production Interns (No current openings)
We’re seeking enthusiastic individuals who are born problem-solvers and effective communicators. These interns must have the ability to work under deadlines and can be organized and diligent while juggling a number of different and diverse tasks.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and current resume by emailing us at HI-Interns@heavy-iron.com with Heavy Iron Internship in Subject.
BENEFITS & PERKS
Benefits Offered by Heavy Iron
- Medical, dental and vision benefits insurance subsidized by Heavy Iron
- Basic Life Insurance, AD&D insurance 100% paid by Heavy Iron
- Long-term (LTD) disability insurance 100% paid by Heavy iron
- Flexible spending account (For medical and dependent care)
- Paid vacation and sick time, designated paid holidays as well as other paid time off
- Transamerica 401K Plan
- Direct Deposit
- Kitchen stocked with snacks, juice, sodas and other eats
- Company events throughout the year like movie screenings, picnics and festive parties
- Only a 10 minute drive to Manhattan Beach & Pier
- Company-paid employee parking, which includes overnight parking for employees on business trips and short-term personal getaways with a 10 minute cab/uber ride to LAX
- Opportunity to submit original game ideas for future project consideration